Launch modal

Our Mission

​The mission of Hightower Trail Elementary School, a limitless, challenging, and nurturing culture of excellence, is to empower all students to become risk takers and problem solvers as they fulfill their highest academic and personal potential through a learning community distinguished by:

* a globally competitive criteria for teaching and learning;
* a balanced curriculum integrating students' interests;
* technological infusion;
* a holistic approach to learning;
* a safe, orderly, and positive climate;
* customized plans of instruction and support for diverse learners;
* identifying and nurturing uniqueness;
* pervasive active engagement for all learners;
* compassionate and respectful interactions;
* meaningful involvement of family and community;
* a high qualified, innovative, and caring staff.

History of Our School

​Our beautiful school was constructed in 1988. The school was named by the Rockdale County Board of Education to commemorate the historic significance of the Hightower Trail which runs through north Rockdale County. Hightower Trail students chose their school mascot and school colors. Our mascot is a Native American, named Chief Trailblazer, to honor the trailblazing spirit of the Native Americans and the pioneers who inhabited this area long before our time. The school colors are red and gold: red represents the red Georgia clay and the gold represents the beautiful gold color of the leaves in autumn. We are proud of our school and strive to keep it as beautiful as the day it first opened 24 years ago!

School Information

Picture of the Front of School

History of the Hightower Trail

Hightower (Etowah) Trail, one of the best marked Native American Trails in Georgia, was a much-used crossover between two of the noted Trading Paths radiating from Augusta. From 1817-21, it marked the Georgia frontier, and was used by pioneer families settling this section. Recognized as a former boundary between Cherokee and Creek lands, a part of it became, by Act of General Assembly 1822, the boundary line between Gwinnett and DeKalb Counties. After northwest Georgia was opened to settlement in 1832, numerous pioneers migrated over this old trace and many built their homes along it. The trail remained a main road until the 1840s. The name of the trail is believed to come from the Cherokee, Ita-Wa, but the first English to visit this section pronounced and recorded the name “Hightower.” Today, most visible remains of the trail have been erased by urban settlement, but segments of it remain in use as part of present day roads.

Click Here to See a Map of the Trail

HTE Partners in Education

HTE teachers, staff, and students would like to thank the following partners for supporting our school:
Aarons Sales & Rentals
ATB Printing & Graphics
Acuity Brands A.K.A. Lithonia Lighting
Beauty Nails, Inc.
Borage Grill
BJ's Membership Club
B. Tucker Heating and A/C
B.Xquisit Hair Studio
Chick-fil-A
Chuck E Cheese
Conyers Flower Shop
Creamberry’s Ice Cream Shop
Crossroads UMC
Donald Trimble Mortuary Inc
Fidelity Bank
Hurricane Towing
Just Add Water
Kroger
McDonald's
Milam's Community Eye Care
Moe's Southwest Grill
O'Charley's
Paige & Ricky Beam in Memory of Gerald Farmer
Paragon Women's Health
Philadelphia UMC
PTO Supply Store
Publix
Rockdale County Sheriff’s Dept. C.H.A.M.P.S Program
Rockdale County Cooperative Extension
Rockdale Tennis Center
Roger Cannon Photography
Romp-n-Roll Skating Center
The Scotty Fund / CDT Business Solutions
Shopcraft, Inc
Sign-a-Rama of Conyers
Space Walk of Conyers
Subway #45710 (Moreland Ave.)
Sylvan Learning Centers
Target
Tasty Treats Italian Ice
Troy Toy;s Auto Body
Vulcan Materials Company
Waffle House
Walmart
World Class American Karate
 

Our School

Grades: K-5
School Colors: Red and Gold
School Mascot:
Trailblazers
Student Hours: 
7:35 a.m. - 2:10 p.m.
Enrollment: 670 
# of Certified Staff: 57
Year Opened: 1988
Principal:  Penny Mosley
Assistant Principal: Toi Sampson

Driving Directions

Take I-20 East from Atlanta and take Exit 82. Go North on Georgia Hwy 20/138 (Exit 82). School entrance is on the left, just north of the Georgia International Horse Park.

View a Map

Strategic Plan